I think the most stressful part of dating in your 30s is trying to figure out what it is you are looking for. Are you looking for a serious relationship? A one-night stand? A summer fling? The beauty about your 30s is that for the most part, you’ve developed in to a well rounded individual. I mean, that’s a generalization, but you get what I mean. You have earned the right to choose what you want.
The people you meet in your 30s tend to fall in to two categories – ones who are just looking for a flash in the pan, wham, bam, thank you ma’am type of relationship, and ones who really are actually looking to settle down. For the most part, the men I’ve met fall more in to the first category. Whereas I fall more in the latter category. That doesn’t mean I’m not open to a little bit of a fling, I would just prefer to meet someone that could potentially turn into a long term thing.
That said, it’s a crazy world out there, and it is important to stay safe and well within your comfort zone when entering in to any type of relationship. So, as an introduction into the “jungle,” so to speak, here are some little nuggets of advice I think are useful whilst jumping back in to the dating pool.
- Be honest. Be honest with yourself, be honest with your date, just… be honest;
- Set boundaries. If you’re not willing to do something, make it clear;
- Be safe. If it’s a first date with a stranger, make sure you tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be home. I like to think that people are by nature good, unfortunately that is not always the case. Safety has multiple meanings, so just make sure you are prepared either way;
- Don’t worry if you are nervous, chances are, your date is nervous too; and,
- Have fun! Even if it winds up being a horrible date, be proud that you put yourself out there!
That’s it for today! Have yourselves a wonderful day!